Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Saying Three Common Prayers

Scripture: If anyone does not love the Lord, let that person be cursed! Come, Lord! 1 Corinthians 16:22

Observation: Paul writes by his own hand the last few sentences of this letter. The first sentence he writes (v21) is simply to show that the handwriting has changed and now he, not his scribe, writes the rest. This then is his first true writing by his own hand, and it is the plea "come, Lord". As the footnote states, in Aramaic this was "marana tha", a common phrase of the early church, and a phrase we still say in some prayers today.

Application: I often pray this ... come, Lord Jesus. Surely this is one of the three most common Christian prayers, along with 'come, Holy Spirit' and 'please forgive me'. The truth is ... I'm starting to believe these may be the only three prayers I need in my life.

Please forgive me ... for I am a terrible sinner, who sins daily and even sins when I know for certain that what I'm doing or thinking or saying is something I should not. I need the Lord's forgiveness every day, several times a day, and do wish I would do a better job of full repentance and turning away from my sin.

Holy Spirit, come ... for I need your power and strength. I sin because I am weak and need your wisdom and power and direction in my life. I live is a fallen world with hardships and sadness and need your comfort and love, and I need your power to flow through me to show that love also to others.

Come, Lord Jesus ... for I love you and believe in you as my savior, and desire to be with you. I long for my true home in heaven, away from this fallen and bitter and painful world, where I can simply enjoy your light and your love, worshipping you forever and ever, without sin or pain or hardship.

Yes, I have many other prayers to say, for I also desire a relationship with the Lord. I want to honor and remember the greatness of God in all things, and I want to consult with him and seek his direction in my daily life. I also just want to proclaim the Lord's greatness and praise his name for all he has done. I will pray more, because I want to say all these things. However, one of the most important things I want to say is ... marana tha.

Prayer: Lord, please do forgive my sins, for I am a sinner and desire to repent to be a better man every day. Please, Holy Spirit, be present in my life and in my heart with power so I can resist evil and do your will. And yes, come, Lord Jesus, may you return soon. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment