Thursday, August 13, 2026

Pondering the Non-Existent Nothingness

Scripture: So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that “An idol is nothing at all in the world” and that “There is no God but one.” 1 Corinthians 8:4

Observation: Paul is about to discuss a rather complex topic, which is about Christians who understand certain teachings differently from each other and thus make each other uncomfortable with their behavior. His example - likely one the church in Corinth actually had issues about - is the eating of food offered to other gods. There are some who think that food is tainted, and that eating implies participation in the worship of the false god. There is another logic Paul points out here, which is that false gods don't even exist, so the fact this was 'offered' to an idol is meaningless ... it's like saying the food was walked through a certain room on its way to the table ... and thus eating it is perfectly okay.

Paul's overall point is just that, in these matters of interpretation, or in matters where an immature Christian may not understand the full issue and thus has a different current understanding, just be kind to each other and don't criticize or pressure each other.

However, this explicit example of the food is interesting, as it introduces a certain topic, which is the actual definition of an idol or false god. Idol worship is forbidden by God in the commandments, and warned about by Jesus. It is core to most conversations about obedience and having a right relationship with the Lord. Paul is placing that entire conversation into an interesting context. Since other gods don't even exist, idol worship is the act of ... giving honor and authority to a completely non-existent nothingness.

Application: This is a philosophical concept that I want to consider more deeply. We get all kinds of warnings from our pastors in the "modern church" about what constitutes idol worship, and it is often defined as those things in our life that demand our time and attention. I have never heard a conversation about an idol being something that we honor with our time and attention despite the fact that the concept it represents quite literally doesn't even exist.

There is an interesting correlation that seems to reinforce this concept. A false god doesn't exist therefore humans create something (an idol) that absolutely exists in the world to represent them. God does exist and therefore humans are commanded NOT to create some image or item to represent him.

As I ponder this, I wonder what things do I consider as part of my life despite the fact that ... their underlying concept or principle absolutely and unequivocally doesn't exist. Should I be concerned that this might relate to the "value" I "create" in my job and the thoughts I had earlier this week about how meaningless (and thus maybe non-existent) that actually is?

Paul is talking about something much deeper than just whether or not the church in Corinth should argue over food. He is actually giving a powerful word to me and our age about the very nature of false gods, and that message needs deeper thinking and teaching.

Prayer: Lord, every day I ask that I be able to do your work today, regardless of where I am. May I also, Lord, be protected from doing the work or advancing any concept that is a 'false god'. If there are concepts that do not exist, may I not be part of the machine that advances them. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment