Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Not Wise, Influential, or Noble

Scripture: Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 1 Corinthians 1:26

Observation: Part of Paul's introduction to the Corinthians is that they do not 'belong' to some cult that is about people and leaders, but to a faith in the Lord through their belief in Jesus Christ. As part of this, he points out that the members of the church, including the leaders who founded it (like himself and Apollos), did not do so through some appeal for wisdom.

All of this is different from the way the world works. The world uses wisdom and logic, and will seek out leaders to influence and echo their logic, as a means to influence the masses. That isn't God's model. The Lord uses truth and love, and seeks out everyone of all walks of life, and then uses their stories of faith to simply continue the message of love. In this manner, the church is not comprised of people who have great wisdom - either in their past or now with new knowledge - who are looking to assume control of the public. The church is just brothers and sisters, living in faith.

Application: This is a gentle image of the church, and one I think about often. I often reference Paul's discussion about not using wisdom and miracles when spreading the gospel, but just "Christ crucified". This fact about the membership of the church is in the same spirit. It is a basic, lowly institution, primarily comprised of basic people ... just like the world. Yes, some Christians are wise and influential leaders, and even Paul says that "not many" - but not 'none' - are these.

And ... I am not wise, nor influential, nor noble. When I talk to people about Jesus, I need to preach Christ crucified because I actually have no other message worth delivering. There is no other message worth delivering.

Prayer: Lord, may I simply tell other people about Jesus as I look to spread the gospel and show your love. I have no other type of influence in the world anyway, and I wouldn't want any. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment