Observation: Paul is about to discuss the idea of the unified church, the body of Christ, and how every individual is different yet makes up one body. He contextualizes this around spiritual gifts, stating that everyone has different gifting from the Holy Spirit. For this reason, verse 4 is well known, stating there are different gifts. So many people hold that thought and carry it to the next conversation. However, the next two verses discuss ... service and work.
This is the true subject, which is that the church has work and service to perform. People have different strengths and different purposes - different rolls within the body of Christ - but it all is for the work and service of the church.
Application: I know my spiritual gifting. It varies a little from time to time, but administration has always been strong. Leadership, faith, and exhortation (shockingly) have been in the mix.
Completely and totally for the last two years, but really for the last six or seven years, I have used exactly ... none of these to serve the Lord's people and do his work in the church.
I am failing to actually be part of the "doing" element of the body of Christ. Perhaps I feel like I am no longer qualified, or maybe I grew weary of what I had been doing, or maybe the fact we were so embedded in the center of our church for so long left me wanting to move to the sidelines. Or maybe ... I'm just not doing what I'm supposed to be doing.
There are a lot of areas in my life where I am going despondent and lethargic and disconnected, not even doing the things I like let alone the things I should. Serving as part of the body of Christ must not be one of those areas.
Prayer: Lord, you know my mind and my heart, and you know that often they are not aligned well to your purposes and your will for my daily walk. Please forgive my random wandering. I wish to be on your path, holding your hand, walking humbly with you, my God. May I find new ways to serve you and your people. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment