Observation: The chronicler spends time reviewing the sons of King David, of whom we know the very last one listed here - Solomon - will be his heir. This list also includes David's wives, of which we only know anything of substance about a few. One is Bathsheba, the mother of Solomon, for whom David actually killed her first husband. Another is Abigail, who was kind to David at a time that her first husband Nabal was evil toward him while he fled from Saul. Then there is the wife about whom more is written than any of the others combined except Bathsheba; Michal, the daughter of Saul.
Michal isn't listed here ... she never bore David a child.
Michal is a character worthy of consideration, but likely as a cautionary tale. In reading of her and David, they begin as a love story ... Saul knows David is the anointed heir, and he gives him his daughter, whom David does seem to love just as he is close to all of Saul's family. When Saul first turns on David, Michal protects David while lying to her own father. However, Michal is then given to another man, and when David returns she denounces/rejects David. He forces her return but more for appearance purposes. She is later critical of David, most notably when he dances in worship as the ark is being transported.
Many women in the bible do not bear children, then turn to the Lord for hope and do bear a child. However, Michal's situation never improves, and she is dropped from the future list of meaningful wives of David. The reason for this seems to be that she rebelled against David, but the real truth might be that she had a heart hardened against Yahweh. She liked the idea of being queen, but once that became difficult she didn't just end up with another man ... she rejected the Lord's anointed, turned her back on prophesy, and even criticized the fact that David publicly worshipped God.
Of David's wives, three are known to have had other husbands. One of those became the example of kindness and intelligence. Another became the mother of the wisest king in history. The third ... the one that could have been the most loved by David ... declared that the Lord wasn't worthy of public worship, and was dropped from the annals of time.
Application: I have often wondered about Michal's story, and how she went from loving David to loathing David, for seemingly no reason other than the fact he survived Saul's madness. However, I think this here - a passage that doesn't even mention her - might be part of the insight. She didn't turn on David. She turned on God.
Michal thought she was going to be this honored queen, wife of David and daughter of Saul. Then her dad went mad. Then her husband went underground. Then she discovered being the wife of a king meant 'one of' not 'the' queen. Then she decided she liked just taking from any man who would dote on her. And soon, Michal was taking a stance critical of her husband, but actually in opposition to God. Maybe she repented of that, but we don't know.
I do know that I have thoughts about things in this world I don't like. If and when I am critical of them, I better first check ... is this thing part of the Lord's work or not? I never want to be critical of part of the Lord's blessed work.
Prayer: Lord, as I look around, I see you at work in this world, even in Seattle, a place I have been critical of in recent days. While I am critical at the issues and evil I see, may I never be critical of how you are at work within those circumstances, or of those who are doing your work to restore the brokenness. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment