Thursday, July 30, 2026

Let's Make a Controversial Statement

Scripture: Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God ... Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience. Romans 13:1,5

Observation: Paul briefly gets into what can only be described as a brief political commentary. In this paragraph he introduced the idea that people should submit to and obey government leads (v1), gives his logic for his (v2-4), and thus summarizes by saying submission is therefore necessary (v5).

Context matters. Paul is writing this to ... Christians in Rome, being ruled by Emporer Claudius. This is an era of absolute authority by a dictator-style ruler, who has been leading successful efforts to subjugate most of the Mediterranean and European world. He also mandates a religion that stands opposed to Christianity. "Compliance" with the ideals of this government is, in a word, anti-Christian. Furthermore, around this same time, Paul will publicly declare and invoke his own rights, that he is subject to Roman (not Jewish) authority in matters of judging his Christian actions.

There may be no time in history that the decision about whether or not someone should "submit" to a government was more in question, and Paul says the decision is clear. Yes, Christians are subject to worldly government authority, and must submit to them. Yes ... OF COURSE there are limits to this argument when it comes to matters of terrible and brutal oppression, AND there is a BIG difference between "submitting" and "participating" in things the government does.

However, as a general biblical truth, Christians are to be subjects of the governments in place around them, obeying laws, paying taxes, not rebelling, as a matter of Christian conscience.

Application: Yes ... I'm going there ... I believe it is unchristian to actively protest our government and government leaders.

If this blog had any significant following, this is the point where the comments section blows up ;-)

I can disagree with policies, dislike rules, and be frustrated by taxes. I can even support efforts to investigate corruption (which is rampant in our government, BTW) and bring appropriate justice on individual government leaders. However, there is a major difference between wishing to address shortcomings of our government and its policies and officials, and protesting against the government in total, protesting against individual authorities, and physically opposing the work of the government.

Paul says to submit to authorities. Elsewhere the bible says to pray FOR government leaders. I will simply say ... I think Christians need to think long and hard about participating in protests and acts of confrontational opposition against government leaders and government activities.

Prayer: Lord, you know I do not make public political statements, despite being a person who has worked in government for over 25 years. May I continue to be open to your word and your teaching, and as far as I am able, may I be your instrument of peace and love to those around me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment