Friday, October 9, 2026

What Gets Done in Hiding

Scripture: Then Jeremiah came from Topheth, where the Lord had sent him to prophesy, and he stood in the court of the Lord's house and said to all the people: "Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, behold, I am bringing upon this city and upon all its towns all the disaster that I have pronounced against it, because they have stiffened their neck, refusing to hear my words." Jeremiah 19:14-15

Observation: This part of Jeremiah's overall prophesy is pivotal. Before the key events, Jeremiah is taught a lesson through a metaphor of pottery ... that just as a potter may shape then reshape clay, so the Lord will reshape a nation however he decides when he sees the first form isn't good. From this, Jeremiah takes two key actions:

1) Jeremiah takes a piece of pottery, has city elders and priests follow him to Topheth (the Valley of Hinnom), breaks the pottery and declare that God's plans for the good of Jerusalem and Judah are being voided and the nation will fall.

2) Then, in these verses, Jeremiah marches straight into the Temple and restates what was just declared in Topheth.

The result of this is that the chief priest punishes Jeremiah, and he in turn declares that the priest himself will be part of those taken into exile by Babylon.

All this said, the location of this action is interesting. It all takes place in Jerusalem, and even in the Temple, except for the full declaration of the prophesy, which takes place in Topheth, the valley to the southwest of the city. This location is important for a few obvious reasons; it was the place where the terrible child sacrifices to Molech took place, and it is the place where Adonijah attempted his coup to become king after David. However, there is a feature that makes this place intriguing for all of this ... it is south/southwest of Zion, and thus ... even though the Temple sits on a high hill ... it is a place that cannot be seen from the Temple. It is a place where someone might even say they are able to hide from the Lord.

Jeremiah wasn't hiding from the Lord. In fact, after prophesying there (likely because of the Molech connection), he immediately goes to the Temple and reiterates the prophesy. And that's the point. Those who are against the Lord attempt to make their declarations and action in hiding. Those on the side of the Lord will do so in full visibility, and will even reiterate their words and actions if they feel others might have interpreted their original acts as having been done in secret.

Application: I know the Lord is everywhere, yet, when I sin, how often do I think to myself that I'm glad no one is around to see it? Just one example ... How often do I swear in my office, and am glad my door is closed?

We all do this. Adonijah and the believers in Molech did it. Jeremiah did not, and in fact made a point of making sure everyone knew he wasn't doing so.

I have often thought that one of the best ways for me to fight sin would be if I just decided I wasn't ever going to do anything 'in secret'. Of course, that ignores the fact that the Lord can see me everywhere, always, so nothing I do is secret from him, and that really should be enough to keep me in check. Accountability seems important in the Christian walk, and I could use more of it.

Prayer: Lord, your word is so good for instruction in life, even subtle concepts like the physical locations where historical conversations occurred. May I be teachable today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment