Tuesday, September 29, 2026

When Habits Betray One's Heart

Scripture:
On that day I will punish
everyone who leaps over the threshold,
and those who fill their master's house
with violence and fraud.
Zephaniah 1:9

Observation: Zephaniah is declaring the curses of the Lord, first upon Judah and then later upon the surrounding nations as well. When it comes to Judah, he tells the reasons for his impending destruction by describing their behaviors, and specifically that they have now bowed to other gods. He calls the future destruction of them God's "sacrifice". And who will be punished? He talks of the leaders who have led the people astray, and then verse 9 describes two types of people, one that seem obvious, and the other that seems less so.

The obvious ones are "those who fill their master's house with violence and fraud." These are the people who come into the temple and deceive others about their faith, lie to the Lord himself about their trust in him, and even bring anger and hatred and aggression toward others into the Lord's very presence. They have so little regard for Yahweh that, even when they show up to give their offerings, nothing about their behavior or attitude is aligned to the Lord. They might go through the ritual, but clearly their lives are pointed in a completely different direction.

The other type of person is more subtle. They "leap over the threshold." They arrive in the temple and their hearts are sincere and their behavior aligned to the Lord's precepts and directives. However ... subtly within them, they have other beliefs in their lives. Those beliefs are so embedded that they embrace little superstitions and practices that are far outside of the Lord's teachings. They have added concepts to God's truth, like (for example) an idea that spirits reside in doorways and you should avoid stepping on them. Suddenly, a little habit betrays their heart and mind.

And yes, these second types of people will be just as punished and destroyed as the first. The message from Yahweh through Zephaniah is not about establishing a sliding scale of punishment. The people of Judah either honor and obey the Lord, or they do not, and their destruction will come no matter the size and degree of their dishonor and lack of alignment to the Lord.

Application: I thank God for Jesus, and this is an example of the greatest reason Jesus' sacrifice is necessary ... I could never comply and align with the Lord's commands perfectly and completely, and thus would absolutely be cursed to death without forgiveness and salvation by faith.

How many little things do I do in life simply because I have 'added' some worldly concept into my daily habits or lifestyle? I can't even think of how to enumerate them! I don't walk around evaluating my spiritual cleanliness moment by moment, so I am not even aware that things I do may have their origins in earthly teachings, or cultural superstitions, or even pagan rituals. This doesn't even count those things I do that I know are sinful.

By my active sin, I am like those who bring violence into the temple, knowing dishonoring the Lord. However, by my little unthinking actions all day, I am like those who skip over the threshold, and by so doing allow a concept that is outside of the Lord's instruction to be part of my life. I am worthy only of destruction by the Lord.

Again, I thank God for Jesus, by whom - and by the Lord's amazing love - I will not receive the punishment I deserve.

Prayer: Lord, I say it a third time, thank you for Jesus. I know I am unworthy of your forgiveness and love, and yet you love me and forgive me anyway. Truely, your ways and your mind and your love are beyond my understanding. May I consider my daily actions, taking control of my thoughts and deeds, and aligning them to you and your word more and more, every day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment